3 Main Types of Cooking 3 Part Series:

Part 2 - Electric

I looked alot online today about the sheer benefits of electric cooking. To my amazement, I came up empty handed. Not saying that there aren't any benefits, but it's almost like electric cooking is such a norm now-a-days, that we don't need to know of any benefits. Electric cooking has almost become the 3rd least desirable (or performable) cooking source yet the number 1 in convenience.

Invented around 1892 in Montreal, the stove quickly became the rage and is still evolving today. From single coiled burners to bring when camping, to multiple burner, warming zone, and bridge burners on a single 30" stove, electric cooking is still "old reliable".

Most Americans only know electric cooking and don't know how to approach gas. They don't know of the safety features they offer, they don't know the benefits they have to offer, and they don't want to attempt it either. That's why electric cooking is so versatile. It's basically made for the beginner cook all the way up to I'd even say the semi-pro to pro cook.

Just about every housewife or aspiring chef dreams of re-doing their kitchen and slapping a huge 48" gas range with 8 burners and full benefits of gas cooking, but end up remodeling with a new ceramic top 30" range with 4 burners. Not a problem with that. They're sticking with what they know and what they're comfortable with.

I'm basically writing this blog series to help those of you who are either building or remodeling. Almost 70 percent of new homes are being lined up with natural gas (if available in the area) and kitchens are being supplied with both and the decision is being left up to the homeowner. This makes decisions easier for you. Why? Well, if you endure 12 years with the same electric range, and you decide to swap over to gas, you can with the help of a plumber (and a new gas stove of course).

I recently replaced all my appliances in my kitchen. I have both electric and gas piped to my stove's resting place, and my home is almost 100 years old. But when I looked around for a new stove my Mom suggested going with gas and I decided along with everybody else in America, and that's to stick with what you know, and that's electric. I own an electric stove and I love it. It's been MY dream stove for quite sometime, and now I can use it everyday. But is it better than gas?

Without splurging on my third installment on this topic, I will tell you that electric cooking is now being viewed as the "non-green" style of cooking. Due to the fact that electric cooking uses more electricity to heat up the cooking surface and maintain it during cooking, it can't stand up next to the competitors such as gas and induction as far as efficiency. If you look at that and shrug it off like gas prices, than this will never change your views. However, there is one BIG reason why Americans are flocking to electric ranges like Hybrid and Hydrogen Vehicles, you guessed it. Gas prices.

People don't want to pay for gas anymore, it's becoming a normal topic today. So the same is evident in the kitchen. People don't want to have to pay for gas heat AND gas cooking. Electric cooking doesn't seem like the 3rd least desirable anymore now does it? I'll be back tomorrow with part 3 of my 3 main types of cooking.

Take Care,

-Brian

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments: